Communication Support Services (CSS) is here to help you develop your academic, professional, and social communication skills. Our team of CAES lecturers, communication advisors, and selectively-recruited, trained, and paid peer consultants are keen to serve all students of HKU’s UGC-funded programmes. Our goal is to help you become a self-directed communicator and author of written, spoken, and multimedia texts. CSS achieves this through 1:1 consultations, workshops, discussions, and social events provided by our Digital Literacy Lab, General Language Advising programme, Writing Centre and Speaking Studio primarily in Zones R and S, 2/F, Chi Wah Learning Commons.
The Writing Centre
Postgraduate and undergraduate consultants from a wide range of academic backgrounds are keen to help you with any writing project, including:
- undergraduate and postgraduate academic writing assignments
- professional texts (e.g. CVs, cover letters and personal statements)
- language exam writing
- creative writing
To get the most from your 1:1 consultation, upload assignment instructions, written work, or readings two days before your appointment, and try to come early in the writing process.
The Speaking Studio
The Speaking Studio aims to help you become a confident and competent speaker in academic, professional and social contexts, such as:
- speaking assignments (e.g. online presentations, poster presentations)
- public speaking
- voice over recordings
- tutorial discussions
- job interviews
- language test preparation (e.g. IELTS)
We encourage you to upload your assessment guidelines, scripts, and recorded rehearsals before your consultation to get detailed feedback on your performance.
The Digital Literacy Lab
The Digital Literacy Lab helps students improve their ability to effectively communicate with digital media. We provide:
- consultations and feedback on projects involving digital media (e.g. videos, vlogs, visuals, recorded audio, etc.)
- advice on facilities, hardware and software tools required for the capture and assembly of digital media work
- assistance in locating and booking these resources directly from the DLL as well as other service providers at HKU
- support to help you develop your technical and digital literacies.
In addition to the support services offered across the CSS services, the DLL can provide access to studio spaces, production equipment services and software.
English Language Advising
Experienced CAES lecturers specialising in language advising are delighted to serve as your personal language learning coach. We provide personalised feedback on your learning progress on the basis of your goals and needs, which will enable you to:
- plan your learning efforts and develop effective strategies;
- enhance your ability to learn and communicate in English
- reach your target level of English (e.g. advanced fluent user, native level).
While ELA is open to all students enrolled in UGC-funded undergraduate and postgraduate programmes at the university, those with demonstrated learning needs may register for multi-sessional support. You’re welcome to show us samples of learning such as essays or videos when you come and discuss your learning needs and aims with us.
Book a consultation, and come talk to us about your communication project or long-term language learning needs!
For more information, and to book go to: https://caescss.hku.hk