Coordinators: Ms. Nation
This workshop aims to deepen your understanding of the most commonly used sentence types in English and to introduce you to a variety of sentence structures so that you can write with greater accuracy and variety. We will also examine some common mistakes such as use of run-on sentences and sentence fragments, and learn how parallel structures can be used to convey ideas more succinctly. You will also have the opportunity to work with your fellow classmates in identifying and correcting Chinglish, analysing the choice of sentence structure in different types of writing, such as academic writing versus journalistic writing, and conduct a peer review of texts written in class.
The workshop will take the form of:
- 4 hours of pre-workshop online activities to get participants familiarized with key elements of sentence structure;
- 4 hours of face-to-face time to review learning points and receive feedback; and as needed,
- follow-up support via email and course discussion forums.
- basic units of structure in English
- 3 types of sentence structure
- sentence types for different purposes
- varying sentence openings
- parallel structure
- error correction
- analysis of sentence structures employed in texts for different genres / purposes / registers / audiences
- combining short, choppy sentences into longer sentences
- peer review of writing
No Reviews found for this course.