Coordinators: Ms. Tess Hogue, Mr. Michael Wiggs & Mr. Simon Scanlon
This workshop will focus on intercultural communication. In an increasingly global world, we need to improve our communication skills. Often miscommunication occurs because we don’t understand other cultures and sometimes our own. This workshop will introduce you with relevant cultural theories and a guide to question our ideas on culture and finally on how to deal with culture shock. This workshop is for anyone who is going on an exchange program or is thinking of going on an exchange program in the future.
The workshop will take the form of:
- 2 hours of pre-workshop online activities, exercises and discussion forums to get participants familiarized with key concepts of cultural communication. Instructors will participate and give feedback on the discussion forums.
- 2 hours of face-to-face time to engage in a role play, review course content and receive feedback.
- A certificate of completion will be awarded at the completion of the workshop.
The workshop has 4 main sections:
- What is culture? Our concepts of culture are challenged and discussed through the cultural iceberg model.
- Cultural Theories. Key cultural theorists Hofstade, Hall and Edward are introduced as a framework for identifying key national, cultural characteristics.
- Socio Cultural Communication. Different styles of communication are introduced and how miscommunication can arise.
- Culture Shock. The stages of culture shock are introduced and how to recognise and deal with this inevitable part of living overseas.
Intercultural Workshop Part 2
Later this year after completing this workshop there will be an opportunity to take another workshop. This will be a project based, experiential learning workshop. You will have the opportunity to watch and hear from exchange students who have returned from their travels and to engage in a fascinating process of understanding their experiences and presenting your experiences in class. We will let you know when this workshop is offered.
No Reviews found for this course.